Many young people don't think they need health insurance because they are healthy. I've seen the same reasoning applied to young pets. However, young people and pets do get sick with illnesses and probably the most common cause of hospital visits for younger people and pets is accidents.
To illustrate this point, I am going to post a testimonial about Trupanion pet insurance, however, this isn't an endorsement of Trupanion. If you read this blog, you know I don't recommend one pet insuance company over any others, but my focus is to provide information to help you make informed and wise decisions when it comes to the purchase of pet insurance for your pet. To help you decide which pet insurance company is the best one for you and your pet, I suggest you use the Pet Insuance Toolkit.
So, here are several things I want you to learn from this video:
- Sometimes, accidents and illnesses happen only days after getting pet insurance for your pet.
- Accidents and illnesses are unexpected events that can be very expensive.
- There is a philosophy recommended by some that instead of purchasing pet insurance, you should just open a savings account and make regular deposits to pay for your pet's healthcare expenses. While I'm all for having a savings account to help pay your pet's medical expenses, people who recommend this instead of pet insurance don't understand the purpose of pet insurance. This video is a real life illustration of this.
- Pet insurance can sometimes be the difference between your being able to afford the care needed to restore your pet back to health or possible "economic euthanasia."
- You should consider getting coverage for your pet very soon after adoption.
After watching the video, let me know what you think.